What Is Project M?
Project M is a community-made mod of Brawl inspired by Super Smash Bros. Melee's gameplay designed to add rich, technical gameplay to a balanced cast of characters while additionally enhancing the speed of play. Project M employs new codes which seamlessly add in new, universal features to the entire cast to add technical variety to all characters.
Project M is playable on ANY NTSC Wii, without any hardware modification, and even without any longterm software modification. All that is needed to get started is an SD card and a copy of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
Project M hopes to achieve a game similar to Super Smash Bros. Melee in many respects. It does not, however, intend to be a 1:1 Melee clone. The following is a list of the main aspects of Super Smash Bros. Melee that inspired and have carried over into Project M:
- A fast-paced game
- with flowing, natural movement
- where the player has a great degree of control over his character due to the technical skill that he's achieved.
- The balance of offense and defense changes depending on the exact matchup and playstyle, but overall tends to favor offense slightly.
- Offstage edgeguarding is risky but rewarding, while on-stage edgeguarding is safer but less rewarding.
- Recoveries generally require great skill to use, with the advantage usually being with the edgeguarding player, with some exceptions.
- The combos are challenging and spontaneous, with anything longer than 2-3 hits requiring a knowledge of both characters' options and some degree of prediction and/or a deep understanding of the mental aspect of the game.
In short, Project M aims to capture the essence of what made Melee a truly great game in our eyes.
Project M is currently available as version 3.0 on our downloads page. All that's needed is a Wii, a copy of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and a 2GB or lower SD Card.
As for the development version, only members who are currently working on or playtesting it have access. If you are interested in applying to the Project M Back Room, head over to the Project M Development Team Applications forum on Smashmods.
Hey there! We're glad you're interested in contacting us. If you're looking to give us feedback on Project M or simply discuss the game with someone, head over to our Project M-specific forum. If you're having issues installing Project M, there's a troubleshooting guide on our Downloads page as well as a link to our IRC chatroom for additional help.
If you're contacting us for any other reason, be it interview/press/etc., our e-mail address is: [email protected]. We look forward to reading your e-mails!